Click here or press Escape to leave this site now
Call our helpline onHelpline 01851 709965
Mon-Fri 10am-4pm
Rape Crisis Scotland national helplineRCS helpline 08088 01 03 02
5pm-12am daily

If it’s just happened

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted:

  • Try to be somewhere that feels safe. If you are in danger, call 999.
  • Keep warm.
  • If possible, see if a friend or someone you trust can be with you.
  • If you need medical attention contact your doctor, A&E or phone NHS 24 on 111.
  • If you think you would like to report the incident to the police, phone 101 or 999 and keep evidence.
  • You might not feel like reporting now, but you might in time. So keep the clothes you were wearing at the time of the assault or anything else that might have evidence (blood, saliva, semen). Don’t wash clothes or other things. Put them in a clean paper bag. Forensic evidence can be gathered within seven days of an assault and you can self-refer for a Forensic Medical Examination (FME), meaning you don't have to report first. You can find out more about FMEs here.
  • If you wash yourself, use safe products, not household cleaning products as they can harm you.
  • For women, if there is a possibility of pregnancy you may want to take the ‘morning after pill’ (two kinds: up to 72 hours/3 days after or up to 120 hours/5 days after) or have a coil fitted (up to 5 days after). You can buy the oral contraceptive pill at a pharmacy or get this from a GP or sexual health clinic. If you get the pill over the counter from a pharmacist there will be a charge. This can be up to £25. You can get the morning after pill free if you let the pharmacist know you would like to get it on the NHS..
  • It may be a good idea to get tested for any sexually transmitted infections (STIs) as prompt treatment can prevent you from becoming ill later on. If you do have an STI, treatment can prevent you from becoming more seriously ill. You can be tested at the sexual health clinic. They will offer you fully confidential information, treatment and advice. You do not need a letter from your doctor. You will have to return for any test results. You do not have to give your name or say that you have been raped or sexually assaulted. You can take a friend with you for support or a support worker from Western Isles Rape Crisis may be able to go to this appointment with you.

You might be able to access a service that can store forensic evidence while you decide if you want to report. You can find out more about reporting from Rape Crisis Scotland.

SARCS (NHS Scotland’s sexual assault self-referral phone service)

The NHS Scotland sexual assault self-referral phone service can help to arrange care for you in the days following a rape or sexual assault. The service may be able to arrange for you to have a forensic medical examination (FME) at a SARCS without making a report to the police. More information about SARCS can be found on the NHS Inform website.

NHS Sexual Assault self-referral phone service is open 24/7 and free to use:

  • Phone: 0800 148 88 88 

Contacting us

You may be in shock after what has happened. Sexual violence is traumatic, and something that can take time to process and heal from. You can contact WIRCC on 01851 706695 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm or Rape Crisis Scotland National Helpline is open every night from 5pm until midnight on 08088 01 03 02 – they can then put you in touch with local support.

Sexual violence affects different people in all sorts of different ways. We know that you may have lots of questions. You will find answers to many of the things people often ask here.